If you are designing a new organizational unit or redesigning an existing unit, we can help create a project plan with key milestones, steps (including steps to engage and involve key stakeholders), and deliverables. We can ensure that appropriate consideration is given to both the people and processes affected.
There are a number of key steps that are typically involved in designing or redesigning an organizational unit. We can provide support for any or all of these steps, as appropriate to your needs:
- Selecting a project planning team.
- Collecting feedback from key customers or stakeholders.
- Performing a functional analysis.
- Grouping functions according to certain criteria.
- Creating a new organizational chart.
- Finalizing a new organizational design.
We can also provide facilitation services, which allow you to focus attention on content and ensure that everyone is able to be a full participant in planning and decision-making.
As with any of the services we offer, we start by listening to your needs, taking into consideration your strategic goals, resource challenges, size, organizational climate and culture, etc. We then work with you to:
If Designing a New Organizational Unit
- Select a project planning team.
- Determine the primary functions of the new unit.
- Determine key roles and responsibilities within the new unit.
- Develop a structure that will create the most efficient and effective operations.
- Create an organizational chart.
- Finalize the organizational design.
If Redesigning an Existing Organizational Unit
- Select a project planning team.
- Assess how the current structure, functions, roles, and responsibilities of the unit are operating.
- Identify what could be done or changed to improve the efficiencies and effectiveness of the operations.
- Update the organizational chart.
- Finalize the new organizational design.
We encourage you to contact us early in the process of designing or redesigning your organizational unit.
Unless otherwise stated on the Statement of Work, estimated costs are based on an hourly consulting rate of $125, with the following additional conditions:
- An additional 50% surcharge will be applied for all client-requested consulting hours during evenings or weekends (so that those hours are charged at the rate of $187.50).
- In certain cases, the fringe rate of 40% may be deducted from the final charges if the client uses either salary funds or grant funds to reimburse the Office of Strategic Consulting for services. Our project and fiscal coordinator can work with you to determine eligibility.
- Events cancelled by the client without 24-hour notice may be billed at the full rate.
UW-Madison clients will be billed through an inter-departmental billing form.
External clients will be billed via invoice.
Clients will be billed at the conclusion of the project or engagement for actual hours, except in cases where activities are segmented into billable phases at the time of scoping (in such cases, clients will be billed at the conclusion of each project phase).
If services have been authorized under a retainer account, charges will be applied monthly to the outstanding retainer balance, and updates will be provided quarterly to the retainer holder.
For any billing related questions, contact our project and fiscal coordinator.
Project and Fiscal Coordinator
445 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1380