In an organization, culture is the shared beliefs, norms, assumptions, unwritten rules, and expectations of the people in the organization – as reflected in their day-to-day behavior. Culture is sometimes referred to as the “habits” of the organization that have become institutionalized in policies, procedures, and reward systems.
Climate is a measure of whether people’s expectations about what it should be like to work in the organization are being met.
Depending on the needs of your unit, we can provide the following as part of our organizational culture and climate services:
- A current-state assessment of your unit’s culture and/or climate
- An approach for enhancing climate and changing culture
We can also provide facilitation services, which allow you to focus attention on content and ensure that everyone is able to be a full participant in planning and decision-making.
We begin by listening to your needs and then tailor the approach to meet those needs. We help you:
- Lay the groundwork. We do this by:
- Establishing the business case for change.
- Discussing and developing the desired state for the change.
- Conducting “Giving Voice” sessions to listen to the concerns and hopes of all stakeholders.
- Implementing efforts to inform, engage, and enroll the organization.
- Developing a critical mass of formal and informal change partners, champions, advocates, and supporters.
- Providing education to create new competencies for senior leaders, managers, and individual contributors.
- Align the organization. We do this by:
- Creating processes to address blatant or subtle barriers to change.
- Identifying and beginning to work in “pockets of readiness.”
- Developing people practices and management systems to support the new culture and climate.
- Creating accountabilities and institutionalizing new practices and behaviors at the work-unit level.
- Enhancing performance feedback systems to support the new culture and climate.
- Monitor progress and make adjustments. We do this by:
- Reassessing the organization to identify progress and gaps.
- Reassessing how the work of the organization is done.
- Identifying and addressing areas that will support higher performance.
- Monitoring the ongoing culture and process and making enhancements as needed.
Unless otherwise stated on the Statement of Work, estimated costs are based on an hourly consulting rate of $125, with the following additional conditions:
- An additional 50% surcharge will be applied for all client-requested consulting hours during evenings or weekends (so that those hours are charged at the rate of $187.50).
- In certain cases, the fringe rate of 40% may be deducted from the final charges if the client uses either salary funds or grant funds to reimburse the Office of Strategic Consulting for services. Our project and fiscal coordinator can work with you to determine eligibility.
- Events cancelled by the client without 24-hour notice may be billed at the full rate.
UW-Madison clients will be billed through an inter-departmental billing form.
External clients will be billed via invoice.
Clients will be billed at the conclusion of the project, except in cases where activities are segmented into billable phases at the time of scoping (in such cases, clients will be billed at the conclusion of each project phase).
If services have been authorized under a retainer account, charges will be applied monthly to the outstanding retainer balance, and updates will be provided quarterly to the retainer holder.
For any billing related questions, contact our project and fiscal coordinator.
Project and Fiscal Coordinator
197 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706